Do I need to re-title and register my van conversion to an RV?
This is a no brainer. You should absolutely change the registration of your camper van into an RV.
Re-titling your conversion van accomplishes a few things:
How do I register a converted camper van?
This can vary from state to state but the process is similar no matter where you are. We’ll use how it’s done in Colorado as an example
In Colorado, the process involves getting a VIN inspection from the Colorado State Patrol. There is only one step but you need to bring a few things with you to the VIN inspection.
Documents needed for the inspection:
- Registration and title or dealer purchase papers
- First and foremost you need to prove that you are the legal owner or an authorized person that can initiate the re-titling process.
- Certified weight slip
Truck stops, landfills and landscaping companies have large scales. Most of them will charge around $10 to provide a certified weight slip. It’s important to make sure they have a certified scale and can provide the proper document that will be accepted by your local government. Here’s where you can find certified CAT scales in your area.
- Statement of fact
- This is where all the improvements that make this vehicle an RV should be listed. To qualify for an RV re-title, a camper van must contain at least 4 out of the 6 “permanently installed and independent life support systems” for:
- Refrigeration or icebox
- Self-contained toilet
- Heating and/or Air conditioning
- Potable water supply system including a faucet and sink
- Separate 110-125 volt electrical power supply and/or LP gas supply
After the VIN inspection is completed and the vehicle has been reclassified it’s important to obtain the proper RV insurance. This will complete the process and properly convey the use of your camper van for the DMV and insurance companies.
State specific requirement resources
The example above is just for Colorado, all states have slightly different laws regarding requirements for registering a converted van as an RV.
The list below contains links to each state's licensing of motor vehicles websites. Within each site you can find the specific laws for each state’s regulations around the licensing and registration of self converted campers or van conversions. We absolutely recommend looking around your state's site and reading the laws.
Some of the sites listed don’t have the clearest answers or incomplete information so we recommend calling or even going in person to speak with someone directly. This is the best way to get clear answers to the exact requirements and process to re-registering your camper van into an RV.
List of departments by state
District of Columbia